

MINUTES OF DERBY BOARD OF EDUCATION COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING (06022020)

1. Called to order at 6:32:

Mr. Gildea: Good evening everyone. We'd like to welcome you to our Derby Board of Education Meeting. We are now headed into our third month of zoom meetings. So it's become the norm a little bit. I really appreciate the public participation. With that, I will call this meeting to order. Would everyone please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance?

a. Opening Ceremonies

Pledge of Allegiance

b. Roll Call:

Ms. Netto: Jim Gildea, Laura Harris, Ken Marcucio, Dan Foley, Rebecca O'Hara, George Kurtyka, Melissa Cannata, Tara Hyder and Janine Netto are all present.

Mr. Gildea: Okay. The record will reflect at this point at 6:34, seven board members are in attendance. Mr. Marcucio and Ms. O'Hara are not here. Let the record reflect all nine board members are here, full house.

Also Present:

Dr. Matthew Conway and Mr. Mark Izzo.

c. Additions/Deletions to the agenda

Mr. Gildea: Are there any additions, deletions or corrections to the agenda folks? Board members, going once, twice, three times. Having no additions, deletions or corrections to the agenda, we will now turn to item number two.

II. Public Participation:

Mr. Gildea: Anyone wishes to speak from the public, just say, I, and we will recognize you. Ms. Gerckens.

Ms. Gerckens: Thanking the Board for the distance learning program. Also speaking about the graduation. They would like to hold it on the Football Field.

Mr. Gildea: I will say that Dr. Conway will have information to share with those who will be here on the screen. And I'm sure he heard your question and will be addressing your comments during his presentation. Thank you.

Anyone from the public who wishes to speak?

Ms. Snell: Yeah, Kelly Snell. So are we going to be informed tonight what exactly your plans are, what suggestions you guys have for graduation? How is that going to work?

Mr. Gildea: So I would say this now and I appreciate Kelly you being here for certain. And so tonight I think what you'll hear is presentations on different options. There was a committee in place to work

those through. I think many of us from the Board will be hearing it. Some of these so ever changing. We did have a brief discussion on it at our April – or May meeting. So tonight you will hear a presentation. I would not consider tonight to be the official communication with the parents. I'm sure that whatever method is chosen it will be communicated via our email system. So you will see a presentation tonight on a library of options.

Ms. Snell: Okay. And are we going to discuss prom or is that just off the table, we're not even going to have it?

Mr. Gildea: I believe that is on the agenda as well.

Ms. Snell: So you guys make the final decision on what's going to happen with graduation?

Mr. Gildea: You know, that's a good question. I think that certainly the administration is in charge of the day to day running the school system. I'm sure they will make some recommendations. I'm sure the Board will have an outlook on that. Truthfully, these things work best when there's alignment between Board and administration, so yeah, I'm sure it will be dialogued today and the Board will weigh in on their thoughts and opinions. Anyone else from the Public who wishes to speak before the Board? Anyone else from the public?

Mr. Engine: Fran Engine.

Mr. Gildea: Perfect, thank you.

Mr. Engine: Are we allowed to speak after the presentation?

Mr. Gildea: You can say it now. Once public portion is closed, public portion is closed. So you can say it now.

Mr. Engine: All right. So I'm hoping they can consider the size of the field with social distancing. Giving a suggestion of the graduation to be on the football field or baseball field.

Mr. Gildea: Okay. I hear your suggestions for certain. Again, during the presentation, Dr. Conway will certainly talk about the various options. It might be Mr. Pascale, he did it at the last meeting. So that will be presented and he heard – they have heard your questions about the size of the field. So I'm certain that they will include that in the comments.

Mr. Engine: Okay. Possibly splitting up half the class in the morning and half the class in the afternoon, something like that.

Mr. Gildea: So again, Dr. Conway will be mentioning in the presentation. They're very clear State guidelines. I'm sure they will reference that as well. And again, a full presentation coming up a little ways down the road. Anyone else from the public who wishes to speak?

Ms. Caruso: Yeah, Jennifer Caruso. Whatever the plan is with the Governor and the graduation, parents and kids on the field. As far as prom if we are not going to have it. Indoors have 75 people. Do something outside even like at Osborndale, where kids can have their senior day.

Mr. Gildea: Thanks, Jen. I appreciate that and the suggestions. Coming through loud and clear the parents wanting to be involved. Certainly, that message has been heard and received for certain. Thank

you. Anyone else from the public who wishes to speak before the Board this evening? Anyone else from the public, twice? Anyone else from the public, three times. Okay folks, public portion is closed.

III. Student Representative to the Board of Education:

Mr. Gildea: So at this point, I'm going to recognize Kaitlyn Gerckens and we're going to give mom a second here, surprise a little bit. There you go. Hi Kaitlyn.

Ms. Gerckens: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: So on behalf of the Board, Kaitlyn, we just wanted to give you a little acknowledgment and a little gift. You know, you participated, you have helped us out, dress book policy, the Board has truly enjoyed not only you know, you've been polite, respectful, firm, clearly you're a great leader amongst your peers. And you've been a wonderful representative so the Board of Education wanted to give you flowers and that gift card to just let you know how much you have been appreciated. So thank you very much, Kaitlyn. Now it's your turn.

Ms. Gerckens: Thank you for having me on the Board. I've enjoyed representing my class. For graduation I'd like all of the students to be together. I'd like to give my speech to my entire class. Thank you again. I appreciate it.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you very much Kaitlyn. Is there any Board have preference for Kaitlyn?

Ms. Harris: Just wanted to say thank you for everything you did for Derby High School for the students and good luck in college.

Ms. Gerckens: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: And Ms. Gerckens again, thank you for everything. Good luck and best wishes. And who knows, in a few years, you'll be running for these positions and you'll be on them. Good luck.

IV. Administrator's Reports – Information Only:

Mr. Gildea: So if it's okay with the Board, we have a section under Administrator's Report, but also the Derby Public Schools Draft Re-entry Plan and Committee is pretty administrative heavy. So we were going to see and it's on the Agenda. Does anyone have any questions for the Administrators as it pertains to their schools or areas? And if not, we will move on to number five.

Ms. Hyder: I'm on the Administrators. I was just wondering if there are any updates from Mr. Bradshaw from the Athletic Department with restrictions or guidelines or anything? Any changes or updates?

Mr. Bradshaw: I should be finding out this Friday. I'm waiting to hear from the CIAC, so I really don't have too much to update right now. Everything is coming out very, very soon. That's it for now. The coaches can remote coach over the summer. That's a definite, but anything beyond that, we're waiting for the guidelines to come out. And as soon as that comes out, I'll be able to start getting information to forward to people.

Ms. Hyder: Thank you.

Mr. Bradshaw: You're welcome.

Mr. Gildea: Any questions for our Administrator's prior to moving onto our reentry plan committee. Okay, Doc.

V. Derby Public Schools Draft Re-entry Plan and Committees:

a. Governance Committee

Dr. Conway: Give me one second while I get the document.

Mr. Gildea: I'm not sure if I'm the only one who hears a TV in the background. I don't know if any of the Board members of people who are unmuted have their TV on. I definitely hear a TV noise in the background. Thank you.

Dr. Conway: Thank you. Those that know in addressing their section. The time you're about to speak, if you could unmute yourself, it will save me a little time trying to find you. We've established seven different Committees.

I chair this Committee each Wednesday and we review each of the other Committees to know exactly what they have been doing week to week as we plan for the re-opening, not only of the school year, but also as we go into summer school. Myself, Mr. Izzo, Ms. Olson, Mr. Rafferty, Mr. Gildea; Ms. Caggiano, Mr. Ciccarini, Ms. Misset, Mr. Pascale and Mr. Cunningham. Those are the dates that we have scheduled over the next weeks to meet. This will go well into the summer and right into the start of the school year.

Mr. Gildea: Hey doc, if I'm going to be on that Committee, could we have meetings at 8 o'clock at night. No, I'm just teasing.

Dr. Conway: Actually, we are waiting and I placed you on that as a recommendation I know Mr. Marcucio had asked. And I think you know how inclusive, I actually invited people to be on all committees. But we did get, interestingly enough today, legal guidance from the Attorney Tom R. has reached out about this. But there might be, just moving forward, there might be some questions about that we have to get answered in terms of number of Board members to serve on Committees. Before then it's no longer an administrative meeting, but considered a Board meeting. But we'll get further guidance on that. But we did receive some guidance this morning. I'm still waiting for some more information to be shared. So I'll start with if I could, Mr. Cunningham will point out to you on the facilities committee.

b. Facilities Committee

Mr. Cunningham: Just to recap. As much as I addressed the Board of Ed meeting a couple weeks ago, we did an inventory of what we have district with personal types of equipment. It's a continual thing. We're always purchasing more. We have found that we're getting a little bit more availability and the price improved some as we're getting closer into summer school and the beginning of this fall, I'm hoping that we'll have ample supplies throughout our school year. We're going to break down the

buildings here with particularly the Middle School. I think the majority of the summer school, we're leaning towards doing it at the Middle School. So we'll start to do our social distancing layouts there in those classrooms. Probably bring a lot of furniture from there over to Bradley School, which only really have tables and not desks because we're looking to sort of fill a classic file set up that we're probably familiar when we were students.

It's going to help the social distancing. It's going to help create a smaller footprint in those classrooms, so we'll have less to clean as far as surface areas. We'd like to keep it, ideally it would be a teacher's desk, maybe an additional table and some the students' desks in the room. So other than that, not much has changed. It's sort of been steady as she goes and continue with our plan that we laid out actually back in March as far as with respect to clean the rooms and preparing the buildings for this coming fall.

Dr. Conway: I know you talked about it last Friday, what are the request to get quotes from outside contractors regarding the disinfecting?

Mr. Cunningham: Sure, I reached out to a couple. I've talked to some people in some other neighboring Towns. I have those numbers. At this stage, as I speak to them, who would be responsible for what? Would they come in after and disinfect the building? Would they disinfect some areas in conjunction with areas that we're cleaning and disinfecting, so I think it's getting the logistics? I hope to have some actual numbers that I could submit to your – at our next not just our meeting, but the one we do here with the entire group next Wednesday. So it takes a while I think for them to assemble these numbers and put them together and give us something concrete.

Dr. Conway: And just based on the need to create space within classrooms so that we can follow the current guidelines with social distancing, it also means removing furniture from classrooms. Matt, if you could touch base on the plans that you talked about with regards to everything remains as is now for the opening of school. That removing those furniture and storage of that furniture?

Mr. Cunningham: Sure. Until we really start to how to get a feel for how many cubic feet you're looking at, so we've talked about going off-site to storage and storage containers. The one down on Pershing Drive here. We're hoping that we do have some storage containers on some of the campus now that we store some equipment in, so we're hoping we can reconfigure there. And there may be some little spaces here and there that as we go and put it away, we'll break down tables, remove the legs and stack them, so they'll be a little bit easier to store.

One of the problems is we've discussed in the past, especially where the elementary schools are. We're just going to have to store those. And we'll just make it so that we can try to ensure that we have a you know as clinically clean as possible in these rooms by removing those areas, we just don't feel confident that we will be able to disinfect on a daily basis. I'm actually contacting Drew down at the City to see if there any outside facilities that we'd be able to use, perhaps free of charge if it comes to that. As I said, as we start to get a feel for it here over the next couple of weeks and the totality of what we have and the size it's going to take up, I think we'll have a better feel for if we're going to have to take things off and he'll be able to incorporate that in our buildings in some dead space and some storage areas that we already have.

Mr. Gildea: This is Jim, I have a question. I know that we're, I just heard you mention that you were working or trying to work with outside resources. Do you have any belief, I mean is it fair to say that it would be not feasible or not possible to be able to maintain schools with our existing custodial in cleaning, sanitize and disinfect.

Mr. Cunningham: Certainly not with the current schedule we work. We will be making these schools smaller. So we go into a classroom, we won't be cleaning 25 desks, we'll be cleaning nine on average. We've even talked about do we need all the restrooms open. Are there areas of the building you know that some days will be used or not used? So, it's sort of hard to know until we have a final as far as the amount of students we're going to have in, what areas of the building they're going to be in? But obviously with just our custodial staff working their particular shifts, yeah, I don't think it would be realistic to keep the level of cleanliness we're trying to attain here in the buildings. With overtime if implemented, it may be more realistic obviously, but then again, still dealing with, the schools right now, you're looking at 300,000 square feet of space. How small we can make that footprint and still have a function school system remains to be seen at this stage.

Mr. Gildea: Okay. Are there any questions for the Facilities Committee and Mr. Cunningham, Board members?

Ms. Netto: I have a question. When you were talking about the desks, removing, were we talking about summer school or were we talking about fall?

Mr. Cunningham: Oh, so with the summer school, we're still going to have to create, if we were using a classroom, let's just say for instance if we're using a room in the Middle School, we're still going to have to create that social distance which, in the Middle School, I think we're going to be averaging about nine or ten. But all the schools, you'll be looking at anywhere from nine to 11 desks. So whatever areas of the building we'll be using for summer school, we would start to practice now.

Ms. Netto: So far half that, because I don't think the building could compensate holding nine kids per classroom, could it?

Dr. Conway: Those plans are also in the works. This is just from a facilities perspective. Another committee. The instructional committee, the operations committee will both be working on what is that plan because we know we can't bring back all kids at nine under the current guidelines that we've received from the State in terms of social distancing in classrooms. And again, we're facing this across obviously every district in the Country, but the current guide in Connecticut most schools are reporting now nine to ten per classroom is the number. And that would mean we are not bringing back all students. But we've got structure for what a week would look like and what students are in buildings during that week is still being work done.

Ms. Netto: Okay. Cleaning supplies spreadsheet? I would want to see what we use on a normal day, what we need to order?

Mr. Cunningham: I had the inventory take with the custodial staff with the inventory. I can certainly put that into a spreadsheet. It's hard to compare because typically, I could find the numbers of what we use for hand sanitizer for nowhere near the amount I anticipate we would be using. We don't use masks. Our gloves would strictly be for our cleaning crew. So as much as we can accumulate. We purchased as I said in March. It's starting to become a little more readily available. Some things you could not get

hand sanitizer I wasn't able to get. We had some fortunately. We have enough in stock. I know that we're good for summer school. But it just started opening up recently here in the past couple weeks, you can get it. And some things you can get but the prices are so astronomical that we thought it was better to try to hold off until our Country started to pick up speed again and were able to produce and distribute more of that. So I do have numbers that we can share with the Board, not a problem.

Ms. Netto: I'm just looking for a baseline of the things that we do use going forward, just know what the baseline is and I want to see what we have on hand. And I know we're going to have to order, but you've got to have a starting point, right. So I just want to be able to take a look at those numbers as we go along. Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Any other questions for the Facilities Committee?

c. Operations Committee

Ms. Olson: Mark Izzo and I are co-chairing together. The purpose and priorities of this group is really essential actions that are going to ensure the date operations back to classroom. So the biggest things we are focusing on is really on student enrollment and new student registration. We're looking at attendance procedures, protocols and policies, revising them based on the new CDC Guidelines and attendance in school regarding a full schedule. Considering staff and student schedules, what those might look like. How could you accommodate a school schedule if you're restricted to, you know, potentially nine or ten kids in a classroom. So that's part of this operation's committee.

The other part that we're focusing on is transportation, food service and then around school staffing and hiring. So that's the role of this is here. And the representatives that are working on it touch every one of those Departments, so the business manager and assistant business manager. We got a really diverse group of people working on those schools overall. We meet Thursdays. We've had two meetings so far and scheduled to have our third this week.

Some of the key things we are looking at. We're looking at new enrollment procedures. Believe it or not there is a flux of kids coming in, even since March. Parents should have access to the minutes of the students, grades and attendance and report cards shortly. Maria is looking to get our attendance procedures. Looking at it from the pre-Pandemic era. It's focusing a lot more on engagement and student involvement, more so than just the actual showing up and attending. We've already been implementing that during our distance learning. Getting some support from the State Department of Education, actually they held a meeting today and that was one of the topics that they shared was around attendance and resources and tools that are available. Looking at operational schedules. Looking at what it would look like for summer school and for fall.

Looking forward to hearing about the transportation restrictions, but there's a potential right now that we can have a maximum of 13 students on a traditional regular school bus. Eight on one of our small.

Mr. Izzo: Jen, can I jump in for a minute.

Ms. Olson: Mm-hmm.

Mr. Izzo: Thanks. I was on a phone call today what I call business managers and with other transportation companies. We have to look at a famine of things here, you know, taking temperatures of kids getting on the bus and the bus drivers. And you give the opportunity for parents to drive their kids to school. So there's a lot of work that needs to be done. So this is where our relationship with Allstar is critical here because again, they only have so many buses for us and that's it. So you know, there's only so much they can do, so it's going to be interesting to see how it's all crafted. This is a big piece of what we do as far as this Committee. So we'll meet Thursday and talk.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you, Mark. Jen, I don't know if you had anything else?

Ms. Olson: Yeah, just the only other things like I had mentioned, extra-curricular activities. Matt will be working on based on CIAC and return to activities of local ordinances. And just our staffing guidelines. Some schools may need more in terms of student support and we want to make sure that we are staffed appropriately for our students' needs. And Sal is looking at all of the food vendors. Different packaging than what we're used to. Some of this is all under way.

Mr. Gildea: Based upon what Mr. Cunningham suggested. Both Matt has mentioned nine kids in a classroom. You've mentioned 13 students on a bus. Are there rough guidelines. Are they Department of Education Guidelines? Are they the Governor's Office? Where are we getting these numbers from?

Dr. Conway: From the State Department of Ed in consultation with the Re-opening Committee, the Governor's Office. A host of stake holders and State Department of Ed has utilized to put together the guidelines for schools. So everything is subject to change to the guidelines we have today to follow based on social distancing both on the bus and in a classroom.

Mr. Gildea: So it sounds almost like the Re-open Committee, and listening I don't know what we're doing next week and I guess it's the changing world that we live in and these things change all the time and I'm certainly not going to hold anybody or pinpoint anybody to what happens in the hallways. But it sounds like if we start to hear these numbers, you know, nine in a classroom, reconfiguring classrooms, reconfiguring bus routes, it sounds like there's some push, but it does sound like the conversations are around hey, what do we need to do to start school in the fall? Is that right it sounds like how are things are moving?

Dr. Conway: It is. It's not only that what do we need to do to start school in the summer. And then what do we need to do to start school in the fall. So that's exactly what they're asking districts to do to put together. So today, as an example, at about 3 o'clock today, we received the final guidelines for summer school. They might be the identical guidelines for the fall. But we received those today at 3 o'clock. As we've been working together to putting the plan for summer school so that we have an opportunity really to begin to roll out those expectations with those guidelines for the fall, with smaller groups of teachers and students. But we've just received the final guidelines today. There are changes in those guidelines from what guidance was received just a week ago, but these are the final guidelines for summer school, encouraging districts to please consider opening up their building to summer school for students and summer camp, space for summer camps for your summer camps.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you, sir. Mr. Kurtyka.

Mr. Kurtyka: Yes, thank you. Just to expand on what Mr. Cunningham spoke about, you spoke about and Mrs. Netto spoke about, have we looked into, I mean, you're looking at nine kids per class, nine to

ten. Have we looked at the double sessions, which is kind of the word that nobody wants to hear. I mean, you know, it's probably going to be, hopefully not, but to bring everybody into school the same day, or alternate days, you might have to look at double sessions. So I just wondering if Ms. Olson, did your Committee look into double sessions?

Ms. Olson: So we are looking at all different creative scheduling and that is a task of this group. I know you've seen in other districts what they're publishing across the country, you know double sessions might be an option. Kids perhaps going to school, some students going to school two days a week, other students going another two days a week and maybe one day distance learning for all. There's lots of varieties that things that people are proposing. But we are in the research stage right now of what schedules. That's why that staffing flexibility and understanding what student needs are and why it's so important to have representations from all those different groups. When you start by school schedule and how many number of students, we certainly wouldn't have a number of teachers of support staff to accommodate their small group.

Mr. Kurtyka: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Any other questions.

Mr. Foley: Has the Committee studied the impact and the cost for implementing additional structures, additional teachers or costs? Is that an incentive at all?

Dr. Conway: Can you repeat?

Mr. Foley: Has the Committee studied the impact on our salary structure on the process of the monies in a worst-case scenario?

Dr. Conway: We have not done that specific number of resources in district until we look at all the different models and we have to do the cross-analysis on each of the different models based upon need for additional staffing. We do know to get kids caught up we do need additional resources next year, that's with the CARES Act funding specifically for. And so we do know we will have at least that amount of funding for the additional resources really to help kids get caught up to where they should be. But beyond that no, other than what I shared at the State level, CAPS has done an analysis of what it would cost across the State. It's in the range of \$263 million dollars in addition on top of what we currently spend, Statewide.

Mr. Foley: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Any other questions?

Dr. Conway: That's not inclusive of transportation costs.

Mr. Gildea: Any other questions for the Operation Committee? Instruction Committee.

d. Instruction Committee

Ms. Olson: But the purpose of this group is really to get an understanding of students, academic and social emotional well-being and make sure we have resources in place to transition back to school. So the three main priorities of this is number one, helping to identify the students who are in need of

support. And that's at the school level and then figuring out how we would provide those resources. It's supporting teachers and the curricular resources. And it's really for the teachers as well about the development that they might need in order to return back to school. And the last part is intervention and assessments. That's the operational structures of schools. What are we going to change to our testing our grading and our report cards? So that's the work that this Committee is doing.

Mr. Rafferty: We had a fair representation from all across the districts from different worlds and responsibilities, but the key thing that we started on already in their first meeting were inventory and understand what resources there are we presently have access too so that we can make sure. Distance learning came very quickly, so we have to spend time hobbling things together. But we're trying to be much more plentiful and say what resources do all teachers have access to for teaching and learning. Social and emotional support for both student and teachers. We have already started to implement professional learning for teachers on providing distance learning using all new platforms.

Mr. Gildea: Any questions for the Instruction Committee. Post-Secondary Committee.

e. Post-Secondary Committee

Mr. Nichols: Good evening everybody. Thank you for the opportunity. I'm going to walk you through a little bit of background as far as what the Committee. Post-secondary, provide students structure to ensure that they maintain what they previously have identified as their post-secondary track. Whether they're college bound, whether vocation or vocational program or straight into the work force. We want to make sure that we have provided with every bridge to that successful program as possible. Identify as priorities, making sure there's no barriers to making sure that they get in whatever program that is. Making sure that they do have the resources and support allocated to them. So prior to graduation, they can ask their co-pilots any questions about the program, about anything that they perform or that we need to support them in completing so that we eliminate any hiccup along the road as possible.

So in general, the support is really going to be focused on the here and the now. The further we get post-graduation, the more difficult it is, is going to be for us. We want to make sure that they are truly ready to go upon graduation.

Mr. Gildea: Any questions on the Post-Secondary Committee?

Mr. Nichols: Dr. Conway, do you want me to go more into specifics as what information was testing and the specifics as to what the Team and the Committee has done so far? Mr. Gildea, would you like me to continue on?

Mr. Gildea: You're also on the Wellness Committee?

Mr. Nichols: No, there was just a little bit more to share?

Mr. Gildea: I apologize. I'm so sorry. I thought you were on a break and I thought you were set. My apologies. Go, by all means.

Mr. Nichols: I'm not going to read you the names of all of our Committee Members, but I really can't express enough. These folks were selected for to be a part of this. It was clear from the first minute

that we started, that they're committed not only to the students, but making sure that they're set on track for success. So I do want to just give them a shout-out on behalf of Mr. Coplin and myself. They're doing excellent work for these students. In terms of the work being done on the next slide, we've had three full Committee meetings.

Mr. Gildea: Can you just give me an example of what a barrier might be?

Mr. Nichols: So to say that a university is working at half-capacity with folks in their buildings. So processing of financial aid applications may be delayed. But I don't know the ins and outs of the university or staffing and the way they're operating, so we want to make sure that we are setting things up and putting the ball in their work to make sure that the universities have everything that they need from us.

Mr. Gildea: Yes. Thank you.

Mr. Coplin: As James said, the work that has been done by the co-pilots a unique thing about our particular committee is that you know we have a limited amount of time before presumably we don't see these students again. So the pressure was on right away. The co-pilots, about a dozen of them, each with anywhere from five to ten students. And they were essentially hand-selected because the work that they're doing if you're looking at the next slide, the one that says data collected by co-pilots. For those students on a post-secondary track, everything from financial aid, making sure the transcripts are in, any of those last-minute had a guidance related task that would need to be run before the school-year ends. Over the summer there's a lot that happens and given the fact that we're in this pandemic. With regard to our work-force track, many students just say no, after graduation, I'm just going to get a job. Well, you know, if you don't have a resume and if you don't have identified contacts or an action plan, so that becomes a lot harder. On top of it, we have a follow-up plan of action for both the college and for our student.

One success story, one of our co-pilots was able to assist one student in appealing her financial aid package and was successfully able to secure an additional \$2,000. So those are the types of things that students are maybe not privy to and the families aren't aware of the avenues that they can take. That's where the co-pilots have definitely stepped up. One more slide, Jim. Finally, just in terms of, this post-secondary committee, much of the work does have a very heavy guidance component to it, so our school counselors they are essentially co-pilots to all of our graduates. They have been instrumental as well as our social worker and our school psychologist in reaching out to all the identified schools that our 74 graduates will be heading off to and providing those direct contacts, phone numbers, emails, addresses, mailing addresses of the items that you see on the screen.

So the more we can provide the students in terms of information, the more confident they will be. I'm really happy with the successes we've had so far.

Mr. Gildea: The 12 co-pilots, so you know, I realize this was born out of the pandemic, but let's say as we segway back some of the normal school system, let's say next June or fast forward, April, May, June, is this kind of program something that could be maintained. I mean, next year there may be 80 graduates and it's only ex-amount to high school and guidance counselors. So is this a type of a program that co-pilot that even though it was instituted so to speak from a pandemic might be something that would have benefit teachers?

Mr. Coplin: Yeah, I absolutely think that there's an opportunity to continue this type of engagement with the students with a very proficient team of co-pilots, their connections with the students, you know, whether they're coaches, attendance coordinators, we really have across the board have people in place that have legitimate and relationships with the students, which makes it that much easier to maintain that relationship and also, the students trust their co-pilots. So I definitely, being such a small school, we absolutely have an opportunity to continue this you know, informally, once we come out of all of this.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you. Any questions for the Post-Secondary Committee? Okay. Wellness Committee.

f. Wellness Committee

Ms. McCoart: Good evening everyone. It's a pleasure to present you tonight as the Committee Chair for the Wellness Committee. So basically our Committee serve as the lead helping Wellness Committee through district. The potential actions staff and students to be healthy. Also bringing in our district medical advisor. Currently we are assessing our natural resources. So we had our meeting last week. Everybody was kind of researching. We were going to bring together COVID19 community research packet as a product at the end of this. We are also researching and developing some questionnaires and surveys to evaluate the staff's mental health readiness prior to reopening. That is something that we are working on now. Ongoing reporting protocols for school staff to evaluate physical and mental health status. Those are our priorities that we'll be working on. Hopefully getting new information from the State. You know, we have documents all set. Make sure everybody remains healthy in the process of reopening.

Mr. Gildea: I guess no Wellness Committee fitness Friday guru night.

Ms. McCoart: He's really eager to be part of this Committee. He reached out to me directly.

Mr. Gildea: Nice. Good stuff.

Ms. McCoart: Very enthusiastic about that. We have our meetings tentatively set throughout the summer. A lot of our work right now is researching, working remotely. And we're going to be branching off this week to two different sub-committees. One mental health, one physical health. Send out questionnaires, surveys to assess our staff mental health right now to see where we stand and to see where we need to move forward.

Mr. Gildea: Any questions for the Wellness Committee. I do appreciate your comments. Any other questions for the Wellness Committee. Technology Committee.

g. Technology Committee

Mr. DiLuggo: Hello, thank you for having me tonight. I'd like to present our Technology Committee tonight. So our Technology Committee the purpose is pretty straightforward. We have to ensure the technology infrastructure that we have in all our Derby Public Schools, including assets and guidance of that. They all support a nice transition back to classroom instruction. And as we've mentioned before, we are planning different models of returning. We have a great team. Three of these priorities are

already close to fruition. We are surveying families to collect information about the numbers, types and condition of devices used in their homes right now to support remote learning. We know that we have close to 100 percent of the students in Derby that have assets, have hotspots if needed and that kind of thing. So engaging in the technology piece of the engagement should not be an issue. We also have to assign a process to key efforts and publish the contact information on the websites so that parents of students and families have questions, they know who to get answers from immediately. And being a small district like Derby, that is the speed in which that can be done is great.

We have to select an issue or asset device tracking tool with the help of the IT Department. And we are well on our way with our priority as well. An implementation of HQ, High Quality Instruction during distance learning and as we transition back into the classroom. Teachers are designing incredible new lessons in the distance learning with technology that can correlate into classroom instruction as well. That could be a silver lining in our current situation. The Committee we have two representatives from each area of the district. Of course, the Technology Committee would not be a Committee without Brad and Carmine from our IT from the High School, Mr. DiLulio and Mr. Grillo, from DMS, Mrs. Bette and Mrs. Miller, from Bradley School, we have Mrs. Henderson and Mrs. Torrelli and then from Irving School, Mrs. Trimarchi and Mrs. Nathman. We're honored to have Mrs. Nathman on our Committee as Irving School and Derby Public Schools 20/21 teacher of the year. So thanks, Mrs. Nathman.

We've met first and from the very first meeting, this Committee was ready to go. And I wanted to take that meeting kind of low and slow, introduce ourselves, some icebreakers, you know classic, first meeting kind of slow, but they wanted to go. We assigned two teams right away. So the second meeting was a lot of we broke up in two separate groups and got work done already. So we are well on our way with the first four of our priorities. And any questions?

Mr. Gildea: Any questions for the Technology Committee? Okay. Well, for all the Committees' representatives for certain we realize that we appreciate your efforts. We appreciate getting an update. And thank you very much. Okay. Dr. Conway.

VI. One to One Peer Mentoring Discussion:

Dr. Conway: One minute, while I bring up the document. So last, Nick DiLuggo was on a call tonight. Nick had come up with an idea of he had some students completely disengaged. And no matter what, through a lot of reaching out from multiple staff members with relationships with kids, most important. It didn't stop Nick. He kept thinking of different ways and then thought about a one to one mentoring tutoring program you know location where we wouldn't have to worry about transportation or any other barriers. Would kids come there to learn? And it started a pilot, drafted up a plan, the pilot plan on the 21st. And with the hopes that we began it on the 26th. So we looked at the plan. We've gone over it. Looks like a solid plan with all the elements that you see here on the screen here today. I shared the plan out as well, but these breaks things down a little bit more for everyone. But it was a plan that offered us an opportunity to one, practice our own protocols with regards to what we would need to do for any student or adult returning to our building. Again, students who were completely disengaged. We started with a very small group. Last Tuesday was the first day, ran Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. And again, Monday and Tuesday of this week.

So we have feedback to provide with you for the five days, how it's gone and the adjustments we need to make. Running through the list with the Board first to give any thought that went into this going forward even with a pilot knowing that it may not work, kids may not respond. We started it at the Derby green and practiced social distancing. Protocols, procedures and set up extremely well thought out. Five pilot sessions we've conducted. They've all gone very successfully. I'll have Nick share with the Board.

Mr. Gildea: That's fine.

Mr. DiLuggo: All right. Thank you everybody for having me on here just to kind of talk about this program. This plan is better than my first thought. I believe the first thing I said was, I was going to start driving downtown with a bullhorn asking kids to come out. So I think this is definitely a better option. Setting up on the green is significant because many of our students don't have adequate transportation. And it's I think it's 85 percent of our students live within three blocks of the green. So it's walking distance. It's known territory for the students. And honestly, staff and I feel very safe there. It's an open area. We can see Central Office from there. There is a relatively heavy known police presence there. Derby police are always circling the area. So we feel, you know, safe and secure in what we're doing. But most importantly has been the student response to what we're doing. Out of all the made appointments they've been kept with an accuracy of 83 percent. Students have shown up at 83 percent of the time.

They're asking for more sessions, which is very telling. And just to kind of give an example, we have two students who did not engage at all since March 13th, who we already seen four times. And they're asking to meet every day. So this is why I believe a program like this is needed for our most at risk students. They're not engaged in online for two and a half to three months, yet, when we set up an in-person session, they'll walk, can meet in public to be seen by many people to do this in a mask. I think that really is a strong picture to paint that the reason that some of our kids aren't engaging isn't because of a desire to not engage, it's because there's a barrier. And our program provides social and emotional and behavioral for that is very, difficult to replicate over distance. So I'm thrilled with what's happened over the last week and a half. I'm touched by it. Parents are thanking us for thinking outside the box. Honestly, it's been very moving to have the parents thank us because you could tell in their voices that this is meaningful. And it reflects greatly upon the district that we're trying this. But I know you guys really don't want to hear as much from me. I don't know if maybe Ms. Howard would want to talk about what they experienced over the past week and a half or so if that's okay with the Board?

Mr. Gildea: Yes, sir.

Ms. Kingsbury: Hi everybody. I teach at the high school. I've been teaching there nine years specifically with Raise Academy under Nick's supervision for going on four years now. This has obviously been a great seat for us to teach through distance learning this very high-risk group of students. We had a couple of the beginning of this engaged with the online component, but it was very, difficult to be honest to get a significant portion of what are currently our ninth-grade students. And if we're looking at our ninth-grade students who are enrolled in Raise Academy that's eight out of our 11 students right now. So I could definitely attest to one of our parents of a ninth grade student said that it was a miracle that someone had reached out to her because she was working full-time and had younger children in the home and she simply could not keep up with the work load. And this is a young man that receives

special ed instruction both emotionally as well as socially and behaviorally. So we wanted to make sure that we were able to engage him. Extremely proud of the students who had engaged in this platform.

So the feedback has been phenomenal. Like Nick said, it's been up 83 percent in terms of students act in their engagement in learning, which I can't be more proud of. And something that I also wanted to highlight that we're very proud of our and not just Raise Academy, Derby High School, we really are invested in the motto, all students matter. And when we're talking about all students matter, Raise Academy is a part of that family. So making sure that we are making sure to get every single one of our students involved in this program. I'm real proud of them and that's why I really wanted to say that.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you. So Kristina and Nick have weighed in. Open-up the Board questions. Doc, are we all set and I'll see if the Board has questions?

Dr. Conway: Ms. Howard, Deb do you want to weigh in on anything?

Ms. Howard: Yeah, I'm here. I'll never speak as eloquently as Ms. Kingsbury, but I'm Debbie Howard, Special Education Teacher at the high school. And I'm also I'm going to echo what Kristina said. It's been extremely positive. They are comfortable with us. And the fact that they're coming and engaging now is I mean phenomenal. It was very emotional last week. I was telling Mr. DiLuggo, all the kids came. It was a fantastic day. They want to work. I just think it's fantastic and I'm really proud of them for advocating for themselves and say they want to come. Set it up and we'll be there. And for the most part, they've all kept for the most part their appointments and showed up. And it's just going very well and I'm very proud to be a part of it.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you, Deb. Okay. So Doc, are we ready for the Board questions? Anybody have questions for Doc or Nick or any questions out there?

Ms. Netto: First I want to say to you guys that I think that it is awesome. I do have a lot of questions. I don't want you to take any offense to the questions that I have. I appreciate you guys going outside of the box and what you're doing for these kids, so let me start with that. Because I don't want you in any way to feel negative about the questions that I have.

So Doc, well actually Nick, how many kids have utilized this program?

Mr. DiLuggo: So far we had a total of 14 appointments that were kept over the week. It's actually it's only been four days that we've gone so far, so that's 14 appointments, seven different students.

Ms. Netto: That's awesome. So now Doc, my question would be then I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around how, we're doing this for one group of kids, yet, we're not doing it for all kids. And I understand that these kids were severely not engaged, there are other children in this district that are severely not engaged in learning right now and we have put these kids ahead of those kids. And I'm having a hard time grasping what we've done here. Because it just for lack of a better term, it's not fair. Schools are closed. The one to one learning is closed. What about the kids that have one on one parents that are sitting at home right now that are not a part of the Raise Program, what do we do with them? What about the kid who has a 20 average in math and hasn't engaged one time whose teacher has called countless times with no answer from a parent that's working all day, how is that any different? I just and then we can start them on the liability aspect of it. I have questions about the safety aspect of it as well.

Mr. Gildea: I think we can start, one is inclusivity for all and then the liability questions. I think we should just let Doc answer those two and then move on.

Dr. Conway: Thank you. Ms. Netto, so this may be a program we can roll out to all kids that are disengaged, but we had to start somewhere to find out 1, will kids respond to it. And if we are going to expand it, like a pilot it first for the small group to see if it is feasible to do on a larger scale. So we have to be able to provide all of those groups with services included in a way that we know is effective with the resources that we have. And this was an opportunity to pilot and try something with a group who are completely disengaged. If we can work with those students and we have staff available to extend this, that's the goal.

Ms. Netto: But a pilot program, Doc, I'm not buying into the pilot program term. So the pilot program would include kids from all aspects to a piloting program that would then reach all aspects going forward. So to say that this is a pilot program going forward, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that one. And I just, I can't understand how that could be pilot program when we're just basing it on one group of kids in a specific program. It's not a pilot program to see if it would work with different areas to kids within different structures inside the school system that we're seeing a pilot program for one group of kids. That's not a pilot program.

Dr. Conway: It's a group of Derby students. So I don't know, I also don't want to identify them as –

Ms. Netto: But you haven't identified the kids with the one on one para, he's not a part of your pilot program, correct. You haven't – I do have questions, let's say you do have someone with a one on one, how do we even have them there without their paras or even following the 504 plans and the plans set up for these kids?

Dr. Conway: We are and I'll say this because we do have to find a way to reach all kids. We have to do it in a way that's effective. We have to try things out first and then expand it. And this is the way to do that. So we do have kids today that have a one on one, that we have to find ways to connect with in the very short period of time. I don't do all for the kids all at once, it wouldn't come out right. It's a way to find out if it works with a group of kids. And I have a group of teachers that are helping have tried this out regular ed and special ed that I think we can use this as a model and can move forward with other students. So we need to try this –

Mr. Gildea: Excuse me, yes. Whoever did somebody an 8:30 cutoff, you're not on mute. Okay, I'm sorry. Go ahead, Doc.

Ms. Netto: I just feel like we were taken out of school. We had all these, you know, the Government put into place the guidelines. It's awesome what you're doing. I don't want you to take it the wrong way. Nick, Cristina, I think it's amazing what you're doing. I'm just having a hard time how we're doing it and how we just out of nowhere decided two months into it, oh these kids aren't engaging with the one on one tutoring because there are lots of kids struggling.

Dr. Conway: We do have to look at how do we expand this into summer school. Because the charge is that we have to find a way to reach kids. I can't – I don't want to open up summer school to 60 kids.

Ms. Netto: The charge was to reach kids distantly from behind these computers?

Dr. Conway: Come July 5th, it's in person.

Ms. Netto: Okay. But right now when we're meeting them on the green, the charge is, we shouldn't be meeting them one on one and we are. So I have concerns about that.

Dr. Conway: There is the guidelines that prohibits us from doing this. This plan has been shared and we are trying to find a way to effectively engage kids. Even when we return to full in person, whether in the summer or in the fall, we cannot connect with kids every single day. We don't have the space to do it. If we do it outside of our boundaries on how we can connect with kids even if they can't be in our buildings. Because that's not going to end in September. So we have to find a way. And this was an opportunity to find a way. There's going to be other ideas that come about that we're going to use. Also, if we're going to connect with all kids moving forward. This format wouldn't work for all kids.

Mr. Gildea: Do you want to address the liability question?

Dr. Conway: Yes. The liability is no different than if they were in our buildings. So the guidance we're receiving the liability for anything that we're doing right now is the same liability we carry every day whether they were in our buildings or not. We have a liability. That's what exists in society today. And we would address it as things happen, but if we are following the protocols given, which we are doing, then while you still have a liability you're at least able to show the process, you have the protocols, documentation that the protocols were followed, what you have in terms of a defense.

Mr. Gildea: Ms. Netto, any more questions before the next Board member?

Ms. Netto: I'm good.

Mr. Gildea: Dan.

Mr. Foley: They're not questions. They're concerns. First of all, why wasn't this brought to the Board before it was piloted. Secondly, why now, why weren't we informed two months ago that these students weren't engaged? This concerns me. This concerns me about this pilot program not being vetted by us, the Board members. Why the green and not Irving School? Irving School could have been used just as readily as the green. It's only two blocks away. And I have to agree with Janine about the limited resources. We're giving one to one or two to one for some students and we're not even helping other students that need the help. And finally, I have concerns about security and liability you addressed, but as you all know, anyone can sue for any reason whatsoever. That's my concerns and that's all I have to say. Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Thanks, Dan.

Dr. Conway: So we did share all along the attendance and engagement of students. In fact, one of the concerns that was brought by another Board member was, when they saw the numbers from Raise in terms of the lower numbers of engagement. And that was from the beginning of the program. But Nick found a way after weeks of phone calling to parents, trying to get ahold of families, Nick, Cristina to engage these kids that they didn't stop there. And they found another way an out of the box to contact with their students. And it was an opportunity for us as a district to try that to see if it works. No different than any other day in our buildings if we were in our buildings. If the teacher has an idea that they bring up about engagement in a classroom with certain kids that it may be one or two kids in a teacher's classroom that they just haven't been able to connect or engage with who might share an idea with some other teachers, with the administrator, you know, is anybody else having trouble engaging

with and how can we think of ways to make that student, those are day to day decisions they make in classrooms and in schools every day. That I treated this similar that idea that staffs brought forward how to better engage with their students. And an opportunity to try that. They came up with that idea and tried it. As time moves, we'll find out how effective it is, but in the very short window, it seems to be effective. And Nick calls me at the end of each days, shares what happened that day. And because of the level of engagement that they were able to achieve.

Let's think of it is if we were in our buildings and we were in a classroom and the students were disengaged, realizing that we were taking all of the other steps to make sure kids are protected, that there's plans in place, that there's protocols, if there's documentation of it and records of it as well. If we could and then if it's something that we take further across the school, for example, or district that we would then bring it back and share it with our Board.

Mr. Gildea: Any other Board members have questions?

Ms. Netto: I just have a follow-up to that if I could. I think it's cool. I think it's awesome. That's not the point here. That's not what we're discussing. We're not discussing that it's not a great thing. But if Rachel Caggiano came to you tomorrow and said, I'd like to set two teachers in the parking lot so that we can bring in some students that haven't engaged. I'd have to imagine the amateur would be low. Because then we're setting up all over and that's not what we're supposed to be doing here. While I'm having a hard time, I'm not, I mean no disrespect, I'm not buying into the pilot program aspect of this. Because we're not putting it out there to different kids with different needs. We have left out all the other elementary kids, middle school kids, and high school kids.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you. Yes, Laura.

Ms. Harris: Yes, hi. I'm the Board member that brought up the Raise Academy last month. And I just want to say thank you Cristina for thinking outside the box and helping these particular students become more engaged and more active and more learning. I feel that this type of program will be wonderful to use in our summer program and I would like an instruction committee to look at part of this for the coming months, not just from summer school, but for the fall. I think we should just keep doing it and see numbers as far as attendance and how these particular students are doing with their education.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you. Any other Board members have comments or questions?

Mr. Marcucio: I agree with Janine with the summer program. I spoke to Doc about this. And my concerns like Dan and Janine brought out is, shouldn't have been done beforehand rather than asking and seeing kids on the Derby green. It's a great idea. As I said, I expressed my concerns to Mr. Gildea. I just feel bad. I don't want Nick to feel bad or Cristina. It's a great idea. We've got a lot of kids in the school system and if these kids weren't engaging and we only have a couple weeks of school. I think maybe it would be a good idea. Two-week sessions left it doesn't make much sense to do this unless you're going to go through the summer. And what about the other kids like Janine said. That's all I have to say. Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Any other Board members have questions or comments?

Mr. Foley: One question, Mr. Chairperson. Why not Irving School instead of the green.

Mr. Gildea: Doc?

Dr. Conway: Irving School is still, we have JCI working at Irving School. We have had and I was witness to it, the Irving School playground is a gathering area for kids. So we previously received correspondence from neighbors there about it. We've notified the police about it. It continued to be a gathering area even on the day that we were handing out books to kids. Then it become it was evidence, as I was observing it with an officer there even neighbors took the opportunity to come over and inform the officer of what was happening there on a daily basis. And the number of kids congregating in the Irving playground. It would be on the playground of Irving School, which was already an area where kids were congregating. The green seems like a nice environment.

Mr. Gildea: Okay. Let Tara talk.

Ms. Hyder: Thank you, Mr. Chair. Ms. Harris, thank you for the suggestion about the Instruction Committee. I think that's a great idea. I also want to commend Mr. DiLuggo, Ms. Kingsbury and Ms. Howard for thinking outside the box. Sometimes there are students who really push us to try and figure out how to reach them and it's really hard. And I understand that. And I truly appreciate the thinking outside the box to try to meet their needs. You know, in terms of why this hasn't been in other schools, that makes me wonder why if we're looking at data. Every month we're looking at data. Every month at the Board meetings, we get data on engagement. We get data on attendance. What our building administrators doing with their data? So that leaves me with a question and I don't need the answer right now. I'm just going to put it out there, what are the building administrators doing with that data to think outside the box to come up with ideas to engage the kids in their buildings that are struggling. Maybe we should be a little bit more collaborative amongst school and amongst programs so that we can learn from each other and do this together. Because if it's successful, then why not branch it out and have other kids benefit from this.

Mr. Gildea: Okay. Any other Board members have questions or points?

Ms. Netto: I have one quick question. The SROs are still on staff and being paid, correct, Doc?

Dr. Conway: Yes. They're working on a rotation at the Middle School.

Ms. Netto: Yeah, can we look at putting one on a rotation at the green with Nick. I just think that everyone would feel more comfortable if we had some resemblance of some safety measures we have in the buildings that are for him at the green, if we could.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you. Any other questions. Item number seven.

Mr. Foley: Jim, I'm sorry, one question. Do we have to vote on this program?

Mr. Gildea: No. I didn't think so. This is me personally. I consider this day to day. I consider this similar to the Middle School eliminating the flex program. I thought today's discussion was informational me personally.

Mr. Foley: Okay. Then I want to reiterate my concern that this should have been brought to the Board before it was piloted. Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Understood. Fair point.

VII. High School Graduation Discussion:

Dr. Conway: First, I want to as I share information as it becomes available to myself, information at the State level. So those were provided by Mr. Pascale as options at the last meeting, just two weeks ago are not saying today. They're quite different based on new information that has been received very frequently throughout the past two weeks. They even continue that way. So this proposal is based upon most recent information that was shared and received from the State last Friday and even while I share two pieces for guidance and information and one through an Executive Order, there's an additional order anticipated in a day or two that will allow for the 150 outdoors for graduation only including the graduates. Maybe other thoughts will be proposed even the Committee at the high school on that. I do think we can come up with something with students have voiced that they are most, like to see most and adults, their parents, do something on a compromise that putting the kids first and as I'm a parent, putting our kids first in this case. Because again, it's not going to be the same as it's been for 100 years.

Mr. Gildea: I just want to hear the content of your message. So are you saying today that this is a presentation? Go ahead, Mr. Pascale, I just wanted to clarify.

Mr. Pascale: Thank you everybody for letting me present tonight. Thank the Committee, the students, faculty as well as the parents. As Dr. Conway previously said, we are constantly receiving new information and I did put together a proposal here, which have several different options for graduation. Going through the options with the Board. 150 being able to gather after July 7th. Would you like me to go through all the proposals and then answer questions?

Mr. Gildea: I'd like you to go through them all, please.

Mr. Pascale: Going through all the options with the Board on graduation ceremony.

Dr. Conway: On Friday, we received that guidance from the State Department of Ed.

Mr. Pascale: Further going over graduation options with the Board.

Ms. Gerckens: Going over the graduation from the young graduates with the Board.

Mr. Pascale: I thank the Board and I thank the Committee. Obviously, this is not an ideal situation. Being a small school, it doesn't allow us different options that other schools may or may not have or the recommendations presented earlier was to possibly split the class in half, morning and then an afternoon ceremony. My only thought is that the kids then would not be all together. And no matter how you split it, it most likely would be alphabetically.

Mr. Gildea: How about a different variation of that. How about in fact if you did it twice. Did all the kids once with one half of the parents and you did a second ceremony with the other half of the parents. We just did an academic banquet. Try to focus on it that way.

Mr. Pascale: I'm open to whatever ideas we have. We're going to have to have a number of staff assisting and I just don't know if they're included, you know, checking in. I would defer to you if that is going to be included. I'm more than happy to try and figure that out if we do a split ceremony. I'll do it five times, whatever it takes to work for everybody.

Mr. Gildea: And again, listen, I got to be honest with you, but Ms. Olenoski, I've known since 1979. If you did that right and let's say, well we just had the academic banquet, they mention every single award. So if you did it in a way where you can streamline it and do two ceremonies, I just wonder if there's a way to find a way where you can satisfy the parents and allow them to satisfy the parents and all the kids together.

Mr. Pascale: If we want to consider two split ceremonies then we rotate, we can leave the graduates on the field to be honest. They can all stay and we can rotate guests out. That is obviously feasible.

Mr. Gildea: The graduation, I've been going, I've been on the Board for 20 something years, so again, no disrespect there's a ton of people, they get money and I value that and I value the scholarships, but the lengthy piece of it is the reading of every single scholarship. I just wondered again if there's a way to streamline the process. Streamline the ceremony. Eliminate some of those things that the pandemic might make it easier to eliminate. Do the speeches, do the diploma. Do that over the course of maybe two different graduations, so that all the kids are a, together and all the parents are able to see it. It's something we should think about and bring it back to the Committee.

Mr. Pascale: Still going over the graduation options. This is the biggest moment in their lives at this point. So if running through a second ceremony is something that we would like to do, that's definitely something that I can bring back to the Committee or further discuss it this evening.

Mr. Gildea: I also think that sometimes the Board policy setting of our Board. I think it would be helpful everyone had a sense of accommodating all. I would recommend that you go back and see having parents and staff there and see if we could do that.

Mr. Pascale: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: Thank you.

XIII. Prom Update/Discussions:

Mr. Gildea: Moving on to prom/update discussions.

Mr. Pascale: Social distancing guidelines will not allow for a gathering for signs of a junior and senior prom. It's my recommendation that we cancel prom and plan for a senior formal to be held at the Payden Fieldhouse when gatherings will permit for crowds of 75. At this point we have two separate dates. There was a date in early July and a date in early August in which we do have the venue in North Haven as well as a DJ reserved. Hearing some of the feedback the idea would be that we want to celebrate our seniors, utilize our fieldhouse. We have a very nice set up there, where there's plenty of outdoor space where it appears there's social distancing guidelines for outdoor activities are much less than the restrictions for indoor.

Have a senior formal, it would be a senior night. Ladies would be able to wear a prom dress. Gentleman will be able to be in tuxedos or suits. Recommendation, after referring with members of the Committee is that we would officially cancel the prom. A lot of people had said, when are you going to cancel the prom and give us an answer. So I want to respect that. I do know that people who are going to figure out what this plan might look like. So that is my recommendation at this time is to set up a senior

formal at the fieldhouse when the social distancing guidelines allow for seniors to attend. The one recommendation I'm trying to run it, seniors to look at that. Senior event for seniors to replace the prom for our senior class to give them a special event.

Dr. Conway: Right now the best information we have there is an expect completion that June 20th the current 25 gathering outside would go to 50. That's only things that have been heard, discussed, nothing in any kind of order or guidelines at this point. The next time after that that it has been discussed that there would be a change though with a caveat it could be before then. More guidance to come but nothing expected new in terms of relaxed numbers until July 18th. And this is all speculations and conversations and nothing in Executive Orders at this point.

Mr. Pascale: It's easily over 100 each year.

Ms. Netto: Those numbers are between 100 to 120.

Dr. Conway: As the State considers different venues, I mean if it wasn't something, it's more realistic if we could have 120 outside at some point moving forward than inside given the current guidance. We had to push even the graduation being allowed with 150 after July 6th. Outdoor numbers might give consideration after June 20th to an outdoor prom on the football field as opposed to anything else or another venue.

Ms. Hyder: Mr. Pascale, at our last meeting, I had written down you had said that Fantasia was penciled in for July the 7th and August 4th. So what are the social distancing guidelines for August 4th?

Mr. Pascale: I don't have any information that August 4th is not going to happen. I was being asked by different folks when we were going to cancel the prom. And looking at the social distancing guidelines, Fantasia does have an outdoor area. I just don't know if they're going to be allowed to host an event for the sizes of our prom. I'm more than willing to wait. We have our DJ reserved. We have our venue reserved. I am more than willing to wait for that. I think that direction was to move them away to support the seniors and that give them a send-off. We can still have our senior formal. We were looking at 75 in July. But I'm more than willing to wait until the Board feels that we should move.

Ms. Hyder: Two months too early to make that kind of call. I know that parents are reaching out to me too. Are there parents of juniors and juniors on the Committee?

Mr. Pascale: No. Going forward, Ms. Hyder, the events, I'll just create something that includes. I'll split the Committee in half. One Committee for prom and one Committee for graduation.

Mr. Gildea: So at this point, George Kurtyka, you have a question, sir.

Mr. Kurtyka: I might as well say something. The State guidelines of 100, 50 or whatever it is. So do we have to have people that screen? Is the screening still going on? We have to still screen the people going in and out? Do we have the hand sanitizer, right? Whose going to do that? Whose going to pay for that? Gloves, I don't know about gloves, but masks for graduation. And I'm sure the prom, kids ain't going to wear a mask for the prom. But also security for graduation, for cleaning of the bathrooms, that's another expense. So there's a lot of issues that I think should be answered first and whose going to pay for all of this and do we have the resources?

Dr. Conway: That's correct, Mr. Kurtyka. And the proposals that have gone to Department of Public Health are inclusive of the screening of adults and graduates. Anybody, just like we do for our buildings today, anybody is getting screened with the temperature as well as completing an online health questionnaire. So those are all done by anybody entering the complex and have to be done as well as the social distancing. All of those protocols have to be in your plan and have to be practiced in 100 percent of the time on the events as well.

Mr. Kurtyka: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: I'm probably way too optimistic, but is there any way that we can fund both, do a junior event and a senior event? And again, we don't have to make a decision today but you know, it would be helpful to know if Fantasia would allow outside events you know when the numbers get bigger. So I mean, I put that out there is the questions for something for the folks to consider.

Mr. Kurtyka: Then we would have to do the same thing up there. Is Fantasia going to do that or do we have to do that?

Dr. Conway: Great follow-up. If I could answer it, any outside event, vendor like that, once they get approval to open up, they're responsible to follow the protocol. So if at some point, through the Governor's Executive Order they said, banquet facilities for example, could open up to outdoor banquets only and/or a limited number of people, which we don't expect to see until phase three or four from all the information that we received that they would be then responsible for all the protocols in place through Department of Public Health at that time.

Mr. Kurtyka: Thank you.

Mr. Gildea: So for the most part still funded. So I mean, I think definitely George's point is fair. I definitely think that the venue it's their responsibility, again just being positive, I just ask the question if its possible to accommodate both classes, that's all.

IX. End of Year Events:

Mr. Gildea: Dr. Conway, is that kindergarten and eighth grade review report.

Dr. Conway: Yes, it is. But with kindergarten both schools will prerecord their presentations they shared with paras, slideshow. Another format will be included as part of the presentation. And then they will distribute certificates as a drive-thru or delivered. Grade five, end of year ceremony, both schools, through recorded ceremonies shared with parents via Zoom, a care package will be delivered to all fifth-grade students by their teachers following proper protocols. Those schools are just waiting for the T-shirts to be delivered. DMS, academic awards night, June 11th, not the 4th. And eighth grade move up day the next Committee meeting was today, drive-up ceremony.

Mr. Gildea: Any questions, folks? All right.

X. High School Cheerleading Multi-season stipend discussion:

Mr. Gildea: So this is a topic that we as a Board did discuss right about this time last year. So I really don't want to do much today other than bring up the discussion again and refer to the Athletic Committee if those members so inclined. So about a year ago, we had a discussion about the cheerleading stipend and how that coaching season ran the gamut and ran both seasons. They do both the fall and spring seasons. So again, we talked about it about a year ago and we talked about looking into the stipend, looking into it. We should be doing it a different way. Just wanted to re-energize the discussion again and bring that topic back up and see if the Athletic Committee would take that and at least discuss it.

Ken, are you okay with that?

Mr. Marcucio: It's on our next agenda?

Mr. Gildea: Thank you, sir.

XI. Fiscal Year 21 Budget Discussion:

Dr. Conway: We presented to the Committee last week. And we have at a meeting today with the sub-Committee of the Board, the Finance Committee of the Board just to share what we believe a path forward that is considering the funding that we'll have left-over from our contract, our special education and other vendors some monies expended through the social distance learning. We did first share it with the Finance Committee sub-Committee.

Mr. Gildea: Well, folks. I would just say on the budget, we had a pretty, impressive turnaround. Hopeful that the money we have in the account, hopeful that the City will be more generous this year. But we'll hopeful we'll get a more responsible appropriation. I talked to Keith and they anticipate maybe narrowing in on a number on the week of June 8th. So once we hear back on what we think our appropriation is going to be, I'll connect with folks and we'll have to probably, we'll be ready and prepared to produce an advocacy again if it's not reasonable. So you know again, we had 80 people at the last meeting. And again, if we get a budget that's not reasonable and/or responsible, then we may have to do some advocacy and really ask some of our folks to be a little bit more vocal, talk to them about our budget. All right, folks.

Mr. Kurtyka: So June 8th is when they're going to set the budget?

Mr. Gildea: No. Yeah, in a week is June 8th, I'm sorry, yeah.

Mr. Kurtyka: So we would probably have to have a meeting, a Zoom meeting I would assume when they set this budget.

Mr. Gildea: Yes. We got to get the link. Doc, if I'm not mistaken.

XII. Executive Session:

Mr. Gildea: No Executive Session.

XIII. Appointment of New Hires/Vacancy List:

Mr. Gildea: Doc, if I'm not mistaken it says there are no appointments, therefore no Executive Session.

XIV. Adjourn:

Mr. Gildea: So with that in mind, that would make two hours and 54 minutes. Motion to adjourn.

Ms. Cannata: Motion to adjourn.

Mr. Gildea: Ms. Cannata. Is there a second?

Mr. Kurtyka: Second.

Mr. Gildea: Always a pleasure folks. A motion has been made and seconded. Any discussion? All those in favor?

Board Members: All say, yes.

Marianne Samokar, Recording Secretary